FHU open on Saturday 25th. November from 9.30- 12.30.
There will be no Saturday opening during December. The dates of closure for Christmas season are closing at 4p.m. on Tuesday 12th. December 2017 and reopening on Monday 8th. January 2018
FHU open on Saturday in 2018 20th. January, 24th. February, 24th. March from 9.30- 12.30.
Family History Unit Crewe relocated to our present home in January 2016.
The unit is housed in 3 interconnecting rooms on the second floor of the Municipal Building. The research opportunities are the same as before but we are fortunate to have the extra space and have taken some of our requisitions out of storage.
Resources that are available include
- Microfilms - Parish Records local to our area, LNWR Engineering staff records
- Microfiche - BMD 1900 -1950, some Parish records and Monumental Inscriptions.
- Books - General and specific to local area to aid genealogical research
- CD’s - FHSC publications etc.
- Wills - A collection of indexed wills
- Maps - Local to area, included OS maps
- Computers - Internet access
- Newspapers - Crewe Chronicle, Nantwich Guardian and Sandbach Chronicle, copies from 1960’s, 1970’s and 1980’s
- In order to widen our archive we welcome donations to our collection and can arrange to scan photographs.
The library list of contents and list of Wills held can be viewed from this page. Klick on ‘Holdings’ and choose either Library List or Wills. As we are still rearranging extra holdings added to stock these lists will be updated ASAP.
The 4 computers may be used to access ‘Find My Past’, ‘Ancestry’ and ‘The Genealogist’.
Microfiche and microfilm readers are also available. If you are travelling for any distance then we advise that you book a machine in advance.
Within the unit there are two other archives which are available to all, they are
- Alsager Archives - A documentary and photographic archive deposited by local families. Originally stored at MMU Alsager in the South East Cheshire Studies Unit.
- Crewe and District Local History Association [C&DLHA] Archive - A documentary and photographic archive, wide range of subjects.
A contents list for these 2 archives will be added to this site ASAP. Contents list are available to view in the unit.
Running FHU Crewe
The unit is staffed by volunteers. These volunteers are available to offer advice on our holdings and help where appropriate.
Tea and coffee making facilities are available in the unit with refreshment outlets nearby.
Additional charges are made for any copying or printing which can only be undertaken within copyright law.
Paid parking within the area.
Building has a lift
There is no set admission charge to the unit but we welcome donations to help with the running expenses.
Access to the unit is by the front door of the Municipal Building. Please sign in (and out again later) at the main reception stating that you are visiting ‘Family History Unit’. Take the lift or stairs to the second floor, entry is on your left and signed.
For Saturday openings
Please sign in (and out again later) at the main reception stating that you are visiting ‘Family History Unit’. A volunteer will
then take you to FHU