FAQ - General
How do I login to the site?
- You can only login if you have registered for a Membership account, i.e you are a full member or website registered member of the Family History Society of Cheshire.
- Click on the Login button on the main menu. You will be prompted for a Username and Password.
- Username = This can be either your email address, your membership number or a username you set up when you set up your account
- Password = This is the Password that you setup for your Membership account
- Underneath the login form there are options you can use if: you can’t remember your login details, or if you haven’t got an account.
If you are already a member and have never used this new site yet, the first time you use the website you will have to set up your password. It wasn't possible to transfer passwords from our old website. See the instructions on the login page or the separate FAQ about resetting passwords.
After you have successfully logged in you can go to My Membership and change details as you wish under My Subscription including your password and email address. You can also change your username.
We enforce some simple rules to ensure your passwords are complex enough to make them harder to crack.
A password must:
- be at least 8 characters long
- contain at least one number
- contain at least one upper case character
- contain at least one symbol
This is important to make sure our information remains safe and secure - we take security very seriously.
If you are logged in then the 'My Membership' menu includes an option called My Subscription. There is also a menu item saying Uodate My Email Address. You can also update your user name here, but this menu is the one you should use to up.date my email address. Try My Subscription to up-date and check your other options.
The My Membership menu now contains a new facility called:
This replaces the ability to change your email address via: This is the preferred and easiest method
The new option also allow you to change your password and username. These continue to be also available via My Subscription.
A version of your name also exists on this Update Email Address new option but this is not linked in any way to your name in membership details on My Subscription. As such you can leave as is or change it to suit. It is currenly only created at the time you registered and is of no further use at this time.
My Subscription now also offers improved ways of entering your name details. We have added Title and Initials fields.
Send an email to our webmaster via Contact Us. We can then give you access to a screen reader. This will appear as a small minimised widget in the bottom right-hand side of the homepage screen. Click and it will open up to give you Options to increase the size of text, alter colour contrast and even highlight blocks of text to read it to you (though this facility is a little clunky). It works well with most browsers, but if not get back to us for further suggestions.