FAQ - General
How do I login to the site?
- You can only login if you have registered for a Membership account, i.e you are a full member or website registered member of the Family History Society of Cheshire.
- Click on the Login button on the main menu. You will be prompted for a Username and Password.
- Username = This can be either your email address, your membership number or a username you set up when you set up your account
- Password = This is the Password that you setup for your Membership account
- Underneath the login form there are options you can use if: you can’t remember your login details, or if you haven’t got an account.
If you are already a member and have never used this new site yet, the first time you use the website you will have to set up your password. It wasn't possible to transfer passwords from our old website. See the instructions on the login page or the separate FAQ about resetting passwords.
After you have successfully logged in you can go to My Membership and change details as you wish under My Subscription including your password and email address. You can also change your username.
We enforce some simple rules to ensure your passwords are complex enough to make them harder to crack.
A password must:
- be at least 8 characters long
- contain at least one number
- contain at least one upper case character
- contain at least one symbol
This is important to make sure our information remains safe and secure - we take security very seriously.
If you are not logged in then the 'My Membership' menu includes an option called 'Forgotten Password'. A link to the same facility can also be found on the Login form (Forgot Your Password?).
Both take you to a form where you are prompted for the email address linked to your account. You will be sent a verification code by email.
The email contains a link which will autopopulate the verification code into a form that then just requires you to enter your username. On submitting this form you will be prompted to enter your new password.
Send an email to our webmaster via Contact Us. We can then give you access to a screen reader. This will appear as a small minimised widget in the bottom right-hand side of the homepage screen. Click and it will open up to give you Options to increase the size of text, alter colour contrast and even highlight blocks of text to read it to you (though this facility is a little clunky). It works well with most browsers, but if not get back to us for further suggestions.