Members' Meeting led by Sylvia Dillon - Cancelled until further notice

From 11 November 2020 19:30 until 11 November 2020 21:15
Posted by Pat MIDDLETON
Categories: Sale Group Events
Tags: Sale
Hits: 199

During World War Two, Denzell House, Bowden, was annexed to Altrincham Hospital as a safe Maternity Hospital for wartime mothers-to-be.  Next to Denzell House and Gardens is the Devisdale, a piece of open land which was used during the war as a tented camp for American soldiers. Across Chester Road opposite Denzell House and the Devisdale, the New Park of Dunham Massey Estate became a built camp of wooden and nissen huts for the USA army. The camp was a staging post prior to assignment. The US troops left the camp in May 1944 to move to Aldermaston to prepare for the D-Day landings on 6 June 1944. In November 1944, the empty camp became a Prisoner of War Camp. The site of the camp is now partly hidden by a golf course and little trace remains of the temporary buildings. Denzell House is now privately owned but Denzell Gardens and the Devisdale are open to the public, free of charge, from dawn to dusk.