Download - Spital, St Giles MI, Boughton, Chester

£0.50
SKU: Download_-_Spital__St_Giles_MI__Broughton__Chester

St Giles Cemetery. Here stood the leper hospital and chapel of St Giles. Founded early in the 12th century and endowed by successive Norman earls of Chester they remained in constant use until 1643. The cemetery remained to mark the site and in time the little village of Spital Boughton clustered around it. In 1644 the royalist defenders suffered great loss of life in a gallant sortie in Boughton and many of the fallen were buried here. Being extra parochial the site was granted to the corporation by Charles II in 1685. The last burial took place in 1854.